The Ryan Place neighborhood lies approximately three miles from the Fort Worth Central Business District. Camp Worth, later called Fort Worth, was established in May of 1849, to help control Indian uprisings in the area. On the prairie south of the camp, the Joshua Ellis family settled after receiving a land grant that same
year, in 1849. Fort Worth became a town and grew into a city, and in 1911, pioneer developer John C. Ryan platted what is now Ryan Place.
The entrance gates on the east and west ends of Elizabeth Blvd. and on the north end of 6th Avenue marked the area as something special. Discovery of major oil fields during this time gave impetus to the building of the stately homes along Elizabeth Blvd. and surrounding blocks. In the 1950s the western gates were partially torn down to widen access to Elizabeth Blvd. Elizabeth Blvd. is now in the National Register of Historic Places, the first in Tarrant County to be so honored. Ryan Place is the oldest intact residential neighborhood in Fort Worth. Fifty-five homes in Ryan Place are listed in the Historic Fort Worth, Inc.’s Tarrant County Historic Survey, including 35 homes on Elizabeth Blvd. The gates, tiled curb signs and street lights are also mentioned.
Ryan Place is a beautiful historic neighborhood with stately trees, many broad tree-lined streets, sidewalks and ornamental streetlights. Homes on Elizabeth Blvd. and adjoining blocks are larger and more elaborate than the homes further to the south. Architectural styles vary from Prairie Style to the Mediterranean Style home Ryan built for himself at 1302 Elizabeth Blvd. The predominant stylistic trend is Period Revival. Seventy-five percent of the homes in Ryan Place are one story structures.